The Laser Therapy Revival
Low level laser light therapy (LLLT) has been recognised as an effective treatment modality since the 1950’s. When used by qualified operators, LLLT is very safe, versatile and valuable primary or adjunct therapy.
Unlike Dermatology or other surgical laser devices, LLLT is ‘bio-stimulating’ not tissue ‘destructive’ – its benefits being:
- Increased blood perfusion
- Stimulation of healthy tissue growth (hair + skin)
- In clinical FDA-approved studies*** LLLT was confirmed to stimulate:
- Cellular metabolism – which in turn enhances energy production to increase collagen (up to 75%) and elastin levels (up to 65%) to firm the skin structures – the foundation for softer, supple, radiant skin appearance*. Decreased or collapsing levels of collagen and elastin is the major cause of fine lines, wrinkles and ‘crow’s feet’
- Protein synthesis
- Tissue & cartilage regeneration
Laser Light Therapy (LLLT) is a safe, versatile + effective treatment modality where increasing skin blood flow (vaso-dilation) + decreasing inflammatory response is indicated (almost every skin condition). Although considered an adjunct treatment where internal causes are the primary focus, LLLT will accelerate healing/recovery of the hair loss or scalp problem whilst the underlying cause/s are being corrected**.
Recent studies* have now found LLLT to be as effective as Botox*** injections or chemical face peels for fine lines and skin rejuvenation without the invasive, unwanted risks that accompany chemical or injection procedures. These include:
- permanent ‘trout pout’ of the lips or ’frozen face’
- skin irritation or (sometimes) permanent skin hypersensitivity or redness (termed ‘erythema’) of acid peels
Other Clinical uses for LLLT include:
- Hair Loss: particularly Telogen Effluvium type hair fall.
- Scalp/skin Conditions: LLLT’s significant anti-inflammatory properties make it an excellent primary or additional treatment tool for psoriasis, eczema, seborrhoeic dermatitis, neurodermatitis, and most other autoimmune conditions affecting the scalp or body skin.
- Scalp tactile “sensations”: reduces & eliminates tight, tender or ‘burning’ scalp, as well as the androgenic sensation often reported as “something crawling under the scalp” – a common complaint in women.
- Surgical Applications (Hair transplantation): LLLT’s proven blood vessel-dilating capacity enhances tissue microcirculation + repair is used in pre + post-operative** hair transplantation, ‘facelift’ or skin grafting procedures. LLLT significantly reduces post-operative swelling and bruising.
- Scalp Oil Balance: aids in reducing excess scalp Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) production in ‘androgen sensitive’ hair follicles; normalises scalp sebum (oil) production.
- Wound Healing & Skin Viral Conditions: LLLT was first used for the treatment of trophic ulcers. LLLT’s adaptability is valuable in alleviating the symptoms, severity & duration of acute viral illnesses such as Herpes Zoster (shingles), Varicella (chicken pox) sores (not the illness), Herpes simplex (cold sores), & even mouth ulcers where the lesion can be exposed to the laser light.
- Tension Headaches/Migraines: headache is often the result of constricted blood vessels across the scalp. When analgesia has no effect, 5-10 minutes under laser light will alleviate tension headaches markedly.
- Muscle & Joint Pain: muscle & joint pain can be eased with LLLT. LLLT appreciably reduces traumatic swelling or bruising from sporting or other injuries.
* Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology; David Goldberg MD Professor of Dermatology Mt. Sinai School of Medicine NY USA; Dr Curtis Crasto Research Scientist in LED Photo-rejuvenation
** Nutritional, Metabolic, Hormonal or Autoimmune causes
***Botox is a registered trademark of Allergan Inc.
About Anthony Pearce Trichology:
Anthony (Tony) Pearce – is a Specialist Trichologist and the only practicing Trichologist in Australia from a background of formal health care training. Tony has lectured in Europe (Sweden) + the USA to Doctors, Plastic Surgeons, Dermatologists + Cosmetologists on the clinical application of LLLT for hair, scalp + skin problems. See Tony’s website + Blog on the risks of treatment with unqualified laser operators –